Friday, June 22, 2018

A Colourful, Modern Wedding at Graciosa

I am ridiculously in love with Stef and Col’s colourful, modern wedding at Graciosa, and I’m delighted to share these fabulous pictures taken by Lara Hotz. I adore a colourful wedding, and when it’s combined with a cool venue and amazing styling it hits the nail on the head!

Usually I don’t start with the shoes when talking about a wedding, but Stef’s shoes are so darn cool! For me, her pair of mint green jewelled platforms by Kat Maconie set the tone for the entire wedding – cool, hip, and really fun.

Stef and Col’s wedding ceremony took place outside against the backdrop of a bamboo wooded area (which later provided a great spot for pictures), followed by a reception in an old barn which provided the most amazing blank canvas for the couple to style. Magnificent flowers formed the main decor detail, with beautiful lighting and flower installations on the ceiling and behind the bridal table. Vases of vibrant peonies and roses lined the long tables and filled the room with colour.

Bride and groom on train track holding smoke bombs

Whilst I’m talking of flowers, the bridal bouquets are some of the most incredible I have ever seen and work so well with both Stef’s wedding dress and the bridesmaid dresses. Stef’s bridesmaids wore really pretty mint green shift dresses adorned with pretty flowers from ASOS, and a pair of sparkly high heels.

So, to Stef’s wedding dress… WOW! It shows that you can buy a dress off the shelf from the high street and look and feel incredible. I just adore this dress, especially the floaty lace sleeves that danced around her (they look great in the pictures!).  For the evening Stef changed into a short dress that is just as gorgeous as the main wedding dress. So, if you’re going for a cheaper option, maybe you could have two dresses for the price of one?

Every little detail of this wedding has been cleverly planned and the concept works so well. They wanted Palm Spring meets boho look and this is exactly what they achieved and the whole thing is utterly romantic, colourful and pretty darn cool!

I hope you enjoy these pictures – get ready to start pinning

“Col and I met while we were working at Apple. The day I started was the busiest day of the year (Black Friday), and he was so helpful and I remember thinking ‘Oh wow, this guy is so lovely’. We had this instant connection and spent all our lunch breaks together. Friendship then blossomed into romance and the rest is history.”

Feeling Like a Princess

“Col and I had been together for about four years and had not been able to travel yet, so we decided to go to Japan. Col had been before but this was my first time, so Col handled the itinerary.

“We splurged and decided to spend one night in Kinosaki towards the end of our trip. After travelling around Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima we finally made it to this beautiful little town with koi fish, hot springs and bridges. It was so beautiful. When we arrived the owner took me and let me pick out a beautiful kimono and headpiece to wear; I felt like a princess.

“Col and I decided to go out for dinner, but being so close to Christmas everything was shut. Col was panicking, which is very unlike him, but I just happy to be there. We ended up at this restaurant that was so average and he just kept apologising, then after dinner he asked if I wanted to take photos on the bridge. Feeling like a princess, I obviously said yes.

“Once we got there he said he had a gift for me and pulled a huge box from his bag. Totally confused, I opened it and inside was a book of illustrations. It was hand-painted, watercolour illustrations of our trip in Japan, with everything we saw and visited in Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and Hiroshima. Then it said, “But our next memory will be our favourite”. I quickly flipped the page, tears already streaming down my face – it was a question in Japanese. I flipped the page again – it was a picture of us both in Kinosaki, on that bridge with him on one knee. As I looked up Col was holding my grandmother’s engagement ring, and he asked me “Will you marry me?” I don’t think I have ever cried harder or louder.”

Bridal shoes and accessories

Wedding ring and headband

Wedding dress

Bride and bridesmaid shoes

Bride opening gift on wedding morning

Bridesmaid putting headband on bride's head

Bride with bridesmaids in floral dresses

Bride and bridesmaid bouquets

Flower girls

Bridal bouquet with large white and pink flowers

Bride

Groom's suit hanging

Pouring whisky

Groom opening gift on wedding morning Watch groom gift

Wedding rings

Groom

Groom with groomsmen in light grey suits

Byron Bay

Romantic, Moody, Beautiful

“Our wedding style was Palm Springs/Boho. I knew I wanted lots of colour and flowers, and in fact most of the decorations were flowers. I can remember how beautiful the barn smelt when I first walked in, and I wanted to get really creative with all the decorations, like having the flower installations on the ceiling and behind the bridal table, and having everyone’s name cards in gold sparkly acrylic.

“We made all the napkins. I wanted them a specific ombre colour so Col and I spent one Saturday painting fabric. I made little clay hearts and painted them red and pink to stick in everywhere for pops of colour. Our wedding stylist was a genius; I would come up with an idea or see something I liked and she would just make it happen. She turned a bare barn into a romantic, moody, beautiful space.”

Wedding welcome sign

Outdoor wedding ceremony space at Graciosa

Outdoor bench wedding ceremony seating

Hearts pegged into ground

Wedding ceremony arch and rug

Red bus arriving at Graciosa wedding

Wedding drinks with ice lollies in

Father walking bride down the aisle

Outdoor wedding ceremony at Graciosa

Wedding celebrant conducting ceremony

Best man giving groom wedding rings

Bride about to put ring on groom's finger

Bride and groom leaving wedding ceremony through shower of confetti

Long wedding tables in barn at Graciosa

Long wedding tables

Long wedding table with flower centrepieces

Wedding place setting

Menu on wedding plate

Colourful wedding table flowers

Foliage and flower wall display

Lights around hanging foliage

Tree effect wedding cake Floral wedding cake topper

Bottles of spirits

Flowers and foliage hanging from front of wedding barn

Wedding barn at Graciosa with foliage and flowers hanging from front

Modern wedding table plan

Outdoor wedding chill out seating

Table candles and flowers

Barrel table

Wedding canapés

Wedding canapés

View from Graciosa

Casual Dress

“The dress code was casual because I just wanted it to be a party. I bought my wedding dress off the rack and I only went to one shop. I knew it was the one I wanted and I fell in love with it instantly; it just felt right.

“The bridesmaid dresses were from ASOS and were fun and bright. My reception dress was from Alice McCall and it was super-cute. It had some of the same elements as my wedding dress, but it needed to be shorter as Col and I had a choreographed first dance!”

Bride and groom by trees at Graciosa

Bride smiling with groom

Bride and groom posing with bridal party

Bride holding bouquet

Bride with arms around groom

Bride and groom standing under shelter at Graciosa

Bride and groom standing on train track

Groom hugging bride from behind

Bride and groom standing on train track

Bride holding out pink smoke bomb

Bride and groom holding smoke bombs walking down train track

Bride and groom by tall trees at Graciosa

Bride and groom standing in tree clearing

Bride and groom entering wedding breakfast at Graciosa

Wedding breakfast in barn at Graciosa

Wedding food

Wedding food

Wedding food on table

Wedding guest book table

Memories and Advice

“I have so many special memories from the day. Walking up the aisle and seeing Col for the first time in his suit and bursting into tears as my heart was so full of love and excitement. Being announced into the reception as husband and wife to Black Skinhead by Kayne and dancing my head off. Our first dance and wowing everyone with our surprise choreography. Listening to the speeches and feeling so honoured and special that it was our day and people were here to celebrate.

“My advice for other couples would be to work together, make lists, expect things to go wrong, and when they do, laugh. Col probably planned more of the wedding than I did. He was so good. When I got stressed he just talked to me and said “Give it to me, let me do it!” He was amazing and so good to bounce ideas off. You need to expect things to go wrong – you’re planning this huge event. How can it possibly go smoothly? You need to have a sense of humour!”

Doorway of barn at Graciosa

Get wild balloons

Glitter ball

Barn at Graciosa at night

Father of the bride speech

Bride and groom enjoying speech

Bridesmaid speech

Groom wedding speech

Wedding guests listening to speech

Bride and groom cutting wedding cake

Bride and groom first dance

80 - A Colourful, Modern Wedding at Graciosa

Wedding band

Choreographed first wedding dance

Bride limbo dancing

Bride with arms in the air

Bride and groom kissing surrounded by smoke

Photography: Lara Hotz Photography

Venue: Graciosa, Byron Bay, New South Wales, Australia

Styling: Peachey Pie

Wedding Dress: Lover

Bride’s Shoes: Kat Maconie

Accessories: ASOS, Country Road and Etsy

Suits: The Tailors Co.

Bridesmaid Dresses: Asos

Flowers: Poppy and Fern

Cake: Byron Bay Cacao

Catering: Fig Tree

Stationery: Set Square

Entertainment: The White Tree

Furniture Hire: Lovestruck and The Wedding Shed

The post A Colourful, Modern Wedding at Graciosa appeared first on The Wedding Community Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment